Sharing blessings causes us to stop and remember all the Lord is doing for us even in the midst of trying weeks. Here are some highlights from my week:
1. Holding a newborn baby There is nothing quite like holding a newborn baby, a helpless bit of humanity less than 24 hours old. This sweet little boy has three older and very attentive sisters, and loving parents. As I held him his wee little eyes would open just a slit then slowly shut again as he drifted back into sleep. Precious!
2. Memories of my mother The little one mentioned above was born on my mother’s birthday. I have been reflecting on my mother and her impact on my life. We had a close relationship but there are many things I wish I had asked her about her childhood, family history, and especially the family photo album. Who are all of these people pictured and how did they touch your life? Makes me more thoughtful about labeling my photos and telling my kids about my childhood.
3. Kitchen herbs I bought little pots of thyme and oregano at the grocery store this week. I can use them in my weekly recipe of soup and, if I defy all my past history, can nurture them along until planting time, which around here is mid-May at the earliest.
4. The Mind’s Eye recordings My husband found some recordings online from The Mind’s Eye, a group of audio recording artists from the 80’s. We used to own several cassette series dramatized by this group and they were very, very good. We would listen as we traveled and our kids loved to hear the tapes over and over again. This week Bud and I have been listening to their dramatization of The Hobbit. They’re as good as I remember!
5. My family – photos from China My son, who lives and teaches in China, posted some beautiful pictures of the family this week. My youngest daughter is enrolled in the nursing program our son oversees. In just a few short months my son, his wife, their two kids and my youngest daughter will be home for the annual monthly visit. I am eagerly anticipating that time together as a family!