It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
1. Family time The past few weeks have been full of family time adventures. Our son and his family have returned to China and my husband is back to teaching as well as preaching. Fall is definitely in the air here and soon I will have to harvest my herbs and pull out the rest of the garden. Summers here tend to be short, but seem even shorter when you have to travel during part of it.
2. Meeting important people Our second daughter is in a serious relationship with a godly young man. I had the joy of meeting Tim’s mother last Saturday and my husband and I will meet both of his parents tonight.
3. Gardening lessons Bud and I have learned some more things about gardening this summer. Things like don’t plant all your potatoes and onions in a 10 square foot planter and throw in a butternut squash and a Jenny Linn melon then edge it with green beans. You master gardeners scoff at our ignorance, but hey, we’re novices and won’t make the same mistake twice. Bud pulled the potatoes and onions at the end of July (all small because *ahem* they were so crowded), moved the beans to pots, and transplanted a zucchini to share space with the butternut and melon. Voila! The butternut and zucchini thrived, but it was too late for the melons for this year.
4. Continuing health journey I head back to the surgeon in a few weeks for a one year check up on my hip replacement. The knee they said would have to be replaced next has been acting up since our trip this summer so we’ll see what they say about that. I may be the bionic woman before it’s all over! The airport scanners certainly think I’m something out of the ordinary, and flag me for a pat down every time. My overall ‘listen to your body’ plan is working well, though I have found it challenging to maintain equilibrium in my plan to manage fibromyalgia with our ‘new normal’ schedule these past few months.
5. God overall Spiritually these past few months have been a valley time for me. God is so kind, gentle, and patient, and has taught me to know His peace and comfort even when life’s circumstances inflict sorrow and pain. But I have also been the recipient of many joys and blessings over these past months. Our sovereign and loving God often intersperses joy with sorrow while weaving the tapestry of our lives. The result, by God’s grace, is conformity to the image of His Son.
6. Taking pictures My husband and daughters have indulged me in my mania for taking pictures of broken down abandoned farm buildings. I love experimenting with light and shadow and learning what trying different settings will produce in my pictures.
(Ok, so I can’t count and actually have 6 things this week. I’ve missed quite a few Fridays this summer so today’s is a bonus offer: 6 for the price of 5!)